The Canyon delay from Electro Harmonix is a brilliantly designed, lovely sounding delay/looper that may far exceed your expectations. Contained in the little field you’ll discover 9 delays, a reverb, two octaves, a pattern and maintain, a looper, some modulation, faucet tempo – the record goes on and on. In truth I wrestle to think about a greater delay in relation to the listing of options provided vs. measurement and worth. This delay pedal looks like once you go to a restaurant for an enormous costly meal they usually overlook to cost you for the drinks! With all that worth, you simply really feel such as you’re getting away with one thing! A delay that cheap, you’d certainly assume it’s not going to sound excellent. Do NOT make that mistake right here. The Canyon delay sounds nearly as good as the perfect delays available on the market. Contemplating all that it does, how unimaginable it sounds, and the impossibly low worth level, it is going to certainly discover it’s approach onto, like, a gazillion pedalboards.
When Electro Harmonix releases a brand new delay/looper pedal, guitar gamers cease and take a pay attention. And rightfully so. For many years, Electro Harmonix has produced a few of the greatest delays in addition to a few of the greatest loopers available on the market and have been chargeable for a lot of the business’s innovation and time-tested designs. I simply have to say the phrases “Deluxe Memory Man”, and also you’ll get what I’m saying. Alongside the best way, Electro Harmonix has continued so as to add options to trendy variations of the DMM holding tweak-happy delay lovers content material for years. So once I noticed that they now had a really compact, multi-algorithm delay plus looper to supply, I used to be greater than intrigued. The Canyon is considerably of a “new ground” for Electro Harmonix in a pair alternative ways. The one different delay of theirs I can consider on this type issue can be the Reminiscence Toy, a fantastic sounding, paired-down grandchild of the DMM, however, alas, a one trick pony. The Canyon delay, nevertheless, has a number of tips up its sleeve. We might have anticipated a multi-algorithm delay from Electro Harmonix to be of their a lot bigger enclosures like a DMM measurement, or, no less than, a Reminiscence Boy measurement. However right here it’s… and it’s as tiny as a Toy. Listed here are the Canyon’s options earlier than we go on.
- 11 modes (9 delay varieties, pattern and maintain, and a looper)
- Delay occasions starting from 3ms to three seconds
- Faucet tempo with faucet devisions using the interior change or an exterior change
- Choice for trails on or off by way of inner dip change
- Easy controls for Degree, Delay, Suggestions
- Quick access to secondary knob features for added tone shaping
- A number of modes supply a pleasant, musical “ramping time” really feel as you flip the Delay knob
- Tons of Self-oscillation and gritty lengthy repeat goodness on faucet
- Multi-stage LED signifies a number of behaviors together with observe division and looper performance
- All of this in an excellent compact enclosure
Ins and outs:
- One 1/four” fundamental enter (proper aspect mounted)
- One 1/four” fundamental output (left aspect mouinted)
- 9v DC, middle unfavourable energy jack drawing 150mA (top-mounted)
- MODE SELECT: An 11 place rotary knob for choosing the delay mode/looper
- FX LVL: Controls the mix between your dry sign and your delayed sign
- DELAY: Controls your delay time. All the best way down is 3ms, all the best way up is three seconds.
- FEEDBACK: Controls the variety of repeats of the delayed sign. One repeat to infinity
Let’s have a extra in-depth look one of many fundamental knobs of the pedal:
Mode Choose: Right here you possibly can choose 9 delay varieties, in addition to the pattern/maintain, and looper.
The 9 delay varieties are:
1. ECHO: A easy digital delay the place every repeat sounds precisely just like the dry sign and repeats fade away cleanly.
2. MOD: A modulation delay. The identical because the ECHO delay, however with added modulation for heat, complicated repeats.
three. MULTI: Multi-tap delay. Every repeat of the delay is performed again at precisely the identical quantity. Suggestions units the variety of constant-volume repeats.
four. REVRS: Reverse delay. The repeats come again to you in reverse. Nevertheless, this isn’t your dad’s reverse delay. This one options clever reverse echo. It truly research your enjoying so it may well produce reverse echoes that greatest fit your enjoying and delayed time. Tip: Use the secondary perform to regulate the sensitivity of the clever pluck detection algorithm.
5. DMM: Duh. Deluxe Reminiscence Man. For my cash, this mode is the place it’s at. It’s an ideal instance of a well-tuned delay pedal. Every part simply sounds good and delightful when performed on this mode. Natural echoes rework as they repeat and plush modulation is out there within the secondary features. Lovely-sounding time ramping results are at your toe-tips. Simply tweak that DELAY knob and musical pitch-shifting repeats rise and fall earlier than your very ears.
6. TAPE: Tape delay. This mode simulates the extremely wanted tape delay models of the 1970’s. Echoes degrade and warp as they repeat with loads of wow and flutter on faucet.
7. VERB: Reverb plus delay. On this mode, every repeat has a plate reverb hooked up to it. Flip the suggestions all the best way down and this mode can be utilized as a reverb solely with DELAY controlling the pre-delay of the reverb sign.
eight. OCT: Octave delay. Man! That is the mode that took me abruptly. The octaves are unimaginable and monitor with absolute perfection! There’s a POG and Pitch Fork on this factor!! It sounds actually cool and trippy to make use of it as a delay, however it’s also possible to flip the Suggestions and Delay all the best way down and you’ve got a rattling good octave generator. Get into the secondary features to regulate the octave up and octave down.
9. SHIM: Shimmer delay. This mode has some magical issues happening. A wealthy octave-shifted concord of pleasure will roll out of your audio system. They obtain this by modeling a sequence of 4 EH pedals. First the sign is fed right into a Soul Preacher Compressor then cut up in two. Half of the sign goes right into a POG2 Pitch Shifter after which right into a Stereo Reminiscence Man. Then the sign is merged and despatched right into a second Stereo Reminiscence Man. It boggles the thoughts to think about what’s happening in there. However it sounds unimaginable. I can’t think about a shimmer delay sounding higher than this.
10. S/H: Pattern and Maintain: To start with, I gotta say, that is the primary Pattern and Maintain I’ve ever used the place I truly can hear a viable use for what’s popping out of the amp. I set the Delay to about 9:00 and made clicking sounds on my strings to supply some actually cool machine gun sounds, à la Jamie Hince of The Kills. Suggestions controls the sensitivity of the pluck detection.
11. Loop: Looper mode. In loop mode, the Canyon turns into a full-feature looper pedal with 62 seconds of report time. A loop is saved completely, even when the looper is powered off. Wanna document that cool loop and take it to the gig. Go for it! Wanna save that cool riff from rehearsal? You’re protected!
Secondary knob features are as follows, per mode:
DELAY KNOB, FEEDBACK KNOB
ECHO: N/A, N/A
MOD: Modulation price, Modulation depth
MULTI: Quantity decay/swell, N/A
REVRS: Pluck sensitivity, N/A
DMM: Modulation fee, Modulation depth
TAPE: Tape distortion, Flutter mod depth
VERB: Reverb Time, Reverb tone
OCT: Octave up degree, Octave down degree
SHIM: Low cross filter, Modulation depth
S/H: Quantity decay/Swell, N/A
LOOP: N/A, N/A
*Should you really feel such as you’ve messed with the secondary knob features a lot that you simply’ve now taken your pedal to date out in area and also you simply wanna get again? No drawback. The geniuses at Electro Harmonix left nothing to probability. You possibly can return your pedal’s secondary settings to a manufacturing unit default! That is additionally helpful in the event you’ve bought this pedal used and easily need to hear it on a “clean slate” so to talk.
Whereas in Looper Mode, the knobs will perform as follows:
FX LVL: Controls the output degree of the loop playback
FEEDBACK: Controls the extent of the prevailing loop that’s preserved whereas overdubbing
The LED can also be there that will help you know what you’re doing. It can change colour and/or blink to inform you beneficial info akin to:
In Looper Mode:
- RED: Press the change one time, the LED goes pink and begins recording instantly
- GREEN: Press the change once more, the LED goes inexperienced and begins enjoying again the recorded loop. Every time the loop cycles, the LED will briefly flip off
- GREEN (dim): To cease playback, press the change two occasions. As soon as stopped, the LED will present as inexperienced, however dim to point the presence of a recorded loop that’s prepared for playback
- ORANGE: The LED will flip orange once you report an overdub on prime of the unique loop
- RED (blinking): To completely erase a loop you press and maintain for 2 seconds. The LED will go pink and blink quickly six occasions then exit. This means that the loop is absolutely erased
In Faucet Division Mode:
- RED: Quarter notes, no faucet division
- ORANGE: Dotted eighth notes (¾ of tapped delay time)
- GREEN: eighth notes (half if tapped delay time)
Go to Electro Harmonix for more information concerning the Canyon.
Into the Canyon:
The Canyon delay is type of a lesson in the concept you don’t need to spend a ton of cash to get nice high quality. I’ll admit that I’m a goon. Once I first took a peek at this pedal, I type of turned my nostril up considering it was simply one other low cost delay pedal designed to satisfy a selected worth level. We have now all seen some examples of not solely delays, however different pedals which might be put out, even by nice corporations, that simply appear to be to allow them to have an entry degree providing in each class of impact. However the fact has been made clear on this evaluation already. This factor is nothing in need of unimaginable. Personally, I might in all probability pay upwards of $350 for a delay of this caliber of sound high quality. In fact, at that price-point, I’d in all probability anticipate it to be stereo with presets and MIDI/expression management.
Once I sat down with the Canyon, I used to be nothing in need of blown away. As I went via the algorithms, I keep in mind texting my buddy with movies of every one which I beloved and the way wealthy they sounded. I merely couldn’t perceive why and the way this factor was so magical. There are a number of modes on this factor that, even when that one single mode was all I acquired for my $139.00, I might be completely high quality. The “DMM” is one. The “Octave” is one other. “Tape” just isn’t far behind. Then you’ve got a pattern/maintain and a looper?? Dang. Then, on prime of all that, you’ve gotten the secondary features. That completely shoots this delay pedal excessive! Be sure to take a look on the guide to see detailed info on how far this pedal truly goes.
If I needed to get actually choosy, I’d say stereo can be cool, just like the TC Digital Flashback Delay, which is identical measurement. That pedal is available in at about $30 greater than the Canyon, however I’d gladly pay up for a stereo model of this pedal though the multi-dimensional qualities of the delays make you overlook you’re operating in mono. MIDI and expression would have been nice as properly however would possible have required a bigger enclosure.
Then there’s the looks of the pedal. It has type of a cartoonish graphic and a random, swooshy “Canyon” writing over the graphic. To me, in addition to a number of the guys within the boards, this simply type of lends itself to a “silly” look, as if it’s begging to not be taken significantly. Then once more, there was that Crayon pedal, too, so perhaps it’s becoming the theme? The white on white plastic knobs give it a easy, but washed out look additional taking the design in a considerably “cheapie” path. I assumed that the design might have simply been higher deliberate. An look with extra of a pointy, higher-end design, perhaps one thing black, might have been executed and would have been a extra becoming visible illustration of the intricate sounds that this pedal produces. I’m not saying any of this to knock on Electro Harmonix however moderately to narrate to you as the buyer. For those who’re taking a look at this factor and considering “It doesn’t LOOK cool,” worry not. This pedal delivers the products. Simply get used to the look of it and have enjoyable with it! If the seems don’t hassle you then you definitely’re already forward of the sport. I assumed the faucet tempo function felt somewhat clunky, however I all the time assume that’s simply me. There’s a distant faucet enter which helps a ton by permitting you to put the delay pedal out of attain, close to the top of your sign chain, however have a distant faucet near your foot on the backside of the board. I discovered that utilizing the distant faucet labored a lot better for a extra seamless faucet tempo expertise. Similar with the looper. It’s not probably the most intuitive one-switch looper I’ve ever used, however that’s as a result of this looper has a LOT extra options than a regular Ditto Looper, and added options can imply added studying curve. As soon as I learn the guide and received myself acquainted with the way it works, it turned a breeze to make use of correctly. Once more, a take a look at the guide works wonders right here.
The Electro Harmonix Canyon Delay & Looper gives an astounding worth and high quality delays. I can’t consider what you get out of this pedal at any worth, but it retails at beneath $140. I’d put this factor up towards almost any multi-algorithm delay on the market. Significantly. The one place it falls in need of the large boys is in its mono operation and restricted exterior management choices. Fortunately, many people are operating mono rigs and that merely gained’t be a problem. No less than they’ve the exterior faucet tempo choice, which I’m positive will get used. Once you prepare dinner all of this down to at least one easy factor it’s “how does it sound?” I’d take the Pepsi problem with this up towards any of the costlier widespread delays on the market. When you have been simply blindfolded in a room and listening to this delay carry out towards its costlier competitors, you’d doubtless wrestle to inform the distinction. Then you definitely’d be struggling making an attempt to simply accept that this factor does what it does. I needed to simply face the music and put aside my self-imposed unfavourable opinions of a cheap delay pedal. Then, as soon as that occurred, I used to be kinda like, “Duh. This is a delay pedal from Electro Harmonix.” Why wouldn’t it’s unimaginable? The options provided within the Canyon are as deep as they’re grand.
This concludes our evaluation of the Electro Harmonix Canyon Delay & Looper. Thanks for studying!